Sunday, May 15, 2011

Step by Step

Do you ever wonder how many steps you take in a day? I know for me it was definitely not something that I ever thought about. ..that is before my mom gave me her old pedometer about three months ago.
The recommended goal of a single person is to walk 10,000 steps in a day. 10,000!? That was my initial thought to begin with. How the heck am I going to get 10,000 dang steps in a single day? That has to be about 10 miles right?? How naïve I was in my thinking.   For a person to get 10,000 steps in a day, you have to walk five miles.  “Ok…(I said to myself)…This isn’t too bad but let’s see just how many steps I do on an average day”
As I mentioned before, I went to college at UWSP and like many colleges students I didn’t live a hop, skip, and a jump away from my classes. Being the eco-friendly person I am (and going to an eco friendly school) meant I basically walked EVERYWHERE.  
So I woke up that first morning, put my pedometer on and started walking. After getting to my first class of the day, I was of course curious, so I opened up my pedometer and was definitely shocked. Just that quick 10 minute walk to class was actually ¾ of a mile…and I did that four times a day!! Just in that little bit of time….those four short walks a day..I was logging in 3 miles on my pedometer.
By the end of the day I was completely shocked by how much I walked during a single day. Also I was pleased to know that I was getting the amount I was supposed to. By the end of the day, I was logging about 18,000-21,000 steps, including my hour workout. Waaaaaaaaaaay over the recommended limit but it definitely made me feel good and now it is my goal every day.
I continue to wear my pedometer daily, actually now I feel completely naked and incompetent without it. Who else uses a pedometer and what are your stepping goals every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment